Seitsemän veljestä - Seven Brothers – first published Finnish novel

 


At the same time this book is the first Finnish story I’ve read. I was really astonished by its low price, and, I was afraid that I wouldn’t receive my order. When the packet arrived to my home, I had an impression that there were only cardboard inside. Thankfully it was just well packed and nobody wanted to cheat on me.

Generally, when it comes to learn about any country’s history and language, it is recommended to read some compelling books written by people from there. Once I got interested in Finland, I realized that in order to understand Finns I should discover their art.

Definitely I would recommend this book to all people who like laughing and who appreciate history. In Alexis Kivi novel we discover tough conditions of living in a village.


(The seven brothers on 1970 postage stamp)

Juhani, Aapo, Tuomas, Simeoni, Timo, Lauri and Eero have something in common – they don’t want to adapt to society’s expectations. They avoid like a fire learning to write and read. Besides, the seven brothers have problems with controlling their emotions – that’s why they get into trouble with local community. They can’t reach an agreement with asking Venla’s hand – they all are in love with the same woman.

The novel is a great example of developing  protagonist’s character. Thanks to numerous difficulties (they fight with oxens, have misunderstanding with priest, live in forest, build a home together before it has burned in flames) they become a role model for all neighbourhood.

What I like the most about this novel is how the author creates funny and absurd dialogues between brothers. Alexis Kivi helps to discover some stereotypes and superstitions of 19 century Finland.


(Here you see the first page of the novel in Finnish.)

Komentarze

Popularne posty z tego bloga

Changes - can we stop them?

La llorona - the most representative song based on Mexican legend

Angela Becerra's success - the second most read writer in Colombia