My thoughts about being a multilingual person

 


As the semester is ending, I consider it appropriate to talk a little about the benefits of learning languages in general. Most people look for specific reasons, however, mine are simple and lead us to discover the usefulness of knowing different languages. I hope you will see my point and understand why I am learning so many tongues.

Since I was a child I have been trying to acquire five languages. Sometimes I lacked experience and perseverance. Eventually, I am learning three different tongues for many reasons. Here I am going to add up some of them which I consider original.

1.       If I hadn’t known English, I would never have learned how to play the guitar

Once I got interested in playing the guitar, I realized that English is the language that can make my self-study easier. There is an enormous numer of guides, videos and books created in this language, where you can find out how to do palm muting, where „pick-ups” are and what  its function is, and what famous guitarist say about their adventure with playing. Of course there are translations of „the Guitarist” magazine, Polish forums and so on but… a majority of music terminology comes from English. To understand it better, it is recommended to read English explanations.


(Jason Becker - my idol from US)

2.       If I hadn’t gone to a bilingual school with Spanish, I wouldn't  never speak castellano so well without living abroad

I have written a post about my bilingual education, where I have explained how we can create linguistic immersion for children in Poland. Undoubtedly, it is an extraordinary way to acquire a language. Thanks to my high level of reading and listening comprehension I have unlimited options of learning about Spanish-speaking countries, their culture and history. That’s why I can enjoy reading Spanish literature in the original. This way  I won't miss any detail (sometimes translation omits something). 

3.       If I hadn’t studied Finnish language and literature, I would never understand Finns as I do

Probably I cannot claim you that I understand Finns completely. It seems awkward because in the heading I said the opposite. I just want to say that the joy I feel while listening to Finnish radio is indescribable. Why is it so? Imagine that you have been listening to a country' songs from different years and you never understand. Now I understand what they say by listening to the news in their language and I am excited about doing it. It is like you had a long journey and finally reach your long- awaited destination!


(Vain elämää (Just life) my favourite Finnish music programme)

4.       Being multilingual helps to maintain your brain’s neuroplasticity

If in my family hadn’t been cases of Alzheimer’s disease, probably I wouldn't care so much. However, I am aware of the fact that learning a language can delay the illness and make the symptoms milder.



5.       Thanks to knowing languages I can speak to friends from all over the world

If I didn't speak Spanish, probably I would never talk to Alejandra from Argentina and spend hours in a queue to a club where HIM from Finland was supposed to play. Now I have a beautiful memory and a friend from another part of globe.

6.       I can enjoy working with foreign languages

The last but not least benefit is the opportunity to take advantage of my skills at work. Someone said that if you choose an occupation you love, you will never work. It means that doing work related to languages, I will never complain that it is boring or unnecessary.



Komentarze

Popularne posty z tego bloga

La llorona - the most representative song based on Mexican legend

Kantele in music and literature

Changes - can we stop them?