Mexican All Saints Day

 Today it's the first time when I write this blog. As the name of this page shows - I have had already experience as a bloger and I used to write diary when I was younger. Now, I have an opportunity to create content in English language what I treat like a practice of my language skills and  I want to develop my vocabulary. Maybe another day I explain more about my past related to writing in foreign languages which topic I consider highly interesting.

The topic that I want to focus on today is Mexican All Saints Day.

I have watched Mexican news on Internet and I have been really happy about what was happening there. At the next part of my post I will explain the reasons why I liked today's news.
However, at first, I should explain how important is this holiday to Mexican society touching a little bit a history and the way Mexican society celebrate this special day.

If we have studied the World's history we know that before Europeans came to the Americas, and another population have already been living there. These people are called American Indian because of Christopher Columbus mistake - he thought that he has reached India, when in real life he came to unknown at that time continent. That's why now we call to indigenous people of America Indian people. 

In Mexico there are 60 different languages (apart from Spanish) used by the mestizos and the Indians. Here we can come to the conclusion that this country is multicultural and very diverse. We can easily notice it looking on 1st of November celebrations. Comparing to Poland, their traditions could seem to us a little bit strange and extraordinary. Nonetheless, it is because of religious syncretism.  It consists in connecting the elements of Indian people and Christian people cultures without offending somebody's religious feelings. 

These photos shows an altar called ofrenda in Mexico








The Mexican altar shows how people from two different cultures can connect this day at common prayer. The part related to pray is from the Christian and the form of altar is borrowed from indigenous people way of celebrating the All Saints Day. 

We can notice characteristic colorful skulls, lot of food, photographs of the relatives and colorful ornaments. By this way the multicultural nation join in prayer and moment of happiness - they believe that the death shouldn't be so frightening and of course Mexican Church allows and recommends the people to celebrate this day thus.

Now, I can switch to the Mexican news. Due to COVID19 pandemic the cemeteries are closed like in Poland. However, the president of Mexico has allowed to the Indian people to prepare original altars at the President's Palace courtyard in the order to connect all Mexicans in common prayer. It shows that no matter what happens, we can always pray to our God or gods and celebrate our religious holidays in our heart. Even in such a difficult kind of circumstances. 

Komentarze

Popularne posty z tego bloga

Changes - can we stop them?

La llorona - the most representative song based on Mexican legend

Angela Becerra's success - the second most read writer in Colombia